We all have been let down and failed (for right or wrong) and have given into some self pity here and there. So, how do we deal with it? Here are some notes from John Maxwell’s “Failing Forward” I feel are key:
- Avoidable- it’s not. all people make mistakes
- an event- its not- it’s a process, a journey
- Objective- it’s not. Its subjected
- Enemy- it’s not. It takes adversity to make success. Failure is fertilizer to success.
- Irreversible- it’s not. See the big picture. Take it in stride.
- A Stigma- it’s not. Mistakes are not permanent markers. They are stepping stones.
- Is final- it’s not. There is a new return that makes you stronger.
Put things into perspective.
Apostle Paul- “I have learned in whatever state I am in, I am content.” FAITH is key.
Are we going to avoid failure or wake up and embrace success.
Failure is a price we pay to achieve success. Get this definition engrained in head.
If you failed, are you a failure? NO.
Am I a failure? Fail forward. Don’t take it personally. “I am not a failure, I have failed at some things instead”
Winners do this:
- Reject rejection-internally based self image…keep right perspective
- See failure as temporary- it can only get better
- See failures as isolated incidents- not one incident defines you
- Keep expectations realistic-
- Focus on strengths- concentrate on what I can do- shore up weaknesses
- Vary approaches to achievement- keep going w/ several businesses and projects
- Bounce back- life is a series of outcomes. Rudy the football movie.
Remove the “you” from failure.
- Paralysis- embrace fear and failure- don’t let it in
- Procrastination- don’t let is steal my time. long range is in site
- Purposelessness- feel every day I must make mistakes- its natural to success. No self pity and hopelessness.
- Take action and reduce fear
Feel fear and take the action. When you get going, its gets easier. It all starts with action.
DANCE WITH FEAR AND FAILURE- it is part of the growth.